The House and Senate convene today at noon and 3 p.m., respectively.
Bills Under Consideration. April 17 is Tax Day, and the House has lined up a series of votes on bills related to IRS reform. See the full list here. Most of these bills will be considered under suspension of the rules. Three measures, however, will be debated under rules specified by the House Rules Committee:
- H.R. 5192 – the Protecting Children from Identity Theft Act would authorize the commissioner of Social Security to provide confirmation of fraud protection data to certain permitted entities.
- H.R. 5444 – the Taxpayer First Act is a bipartisan measure that would overhaul IRS operations and tax administration procedures.
- H.R. 5445 – the 21st Century IRS Act would improve cybersecurity and taxpayer identity protection; and modernize the information technology of the IRS.
Quarles Speaks. On Tuesday, Federal Reserve Vice Chairman for Supervision Randal Quarles will testify before the House Financial Services Committee to discuss the Fed’s agenda.
Extenders Roundtable. The House Ways and Means Committee will hold a closed meeting with members to discuss tax extenders.
FY 2019 Appropriations. The House Appropriations Committee has scheduled a slew of appropriations hearings for various federal agencies. See the complete schedule here.
Vote. Lawmakers will resume consideration of S. 140, a tribal labor bill that would amend the White Mountain Apache Tribe Water Rights Quantification Act of 2010 to clarify the use of the WMAT Settlement Fund.
Nominations Hearing. On Tuesday, the Senate Banking Committee will consider the nominations of Jeffrey Nadaner to be assistant secretary of Commerce for export enforcement; Thelma Drake to be federal transit administrator; and Seth Appleton to be assistant secretary of HUD for policy development & research.
Pensions Hearing. On Wednesday, the Joint Select Committee on Solvency of MEPs will hold a hearing on the history and structure of the multiemployer pension system.
- House Financial Services Committee. Hearing on the efforts, activities, objectives, and plans of the Federal Reserve.
- House Financial Services Committee. Subcommittee hearing on the housing choice voucher program.
- Senate Banking Committee. Nominations of Jeffrey Nadaner to be assistant secretary of Commerce for export enforcement; Thelma Drake to be federal transit administrator; and Seth Appleton to be assistant secretary of HUD for policy development & research.
- House Ways and Means Committee. Hearing on “Jobs and Opportunity: Federal Perspectives on the Jobs Gap.” Labor Secretary Acosta to testify.
- House Oversight Committee. Subcommittee hearing on “Continued Oversight Over the IRS.”
- House Small Business Committee. Subcommittee hearing on “Small Business Retirement Plans and the IRS’ Employee Plans Fee Change.”
- House Appropriations Committee. Hearing on the FY 2019 Budget of the OMB with Director Mick Mulvaney.
- Joint Select Committee on Solvency of MEPs. Hearing on the history and structure of the multiemployer pension system.
- Securities and Exchange Commission. Meeting to determine whether the commission should propose rules related to investment advice. Full meeting agenda here.
- Senate Banking Committee. Hearing on the “Semiannual Testimony of the Federal Reserve’s Supervision and Regulation of the Financial System.”
- Senate Finance Committee. Hearing on opioid and substance use disorders in Medicare, Medicaid, and Human Services Programs.