The House and Senate convene today at noon and 3 p.m., respectively.
Votes. The chamber will take up a series of measures to expand and improve access to Health Savings Accounts – see the full list here. Other noteworthy bills to be considered this week include:
- H.R. 3500 – the Ensuring Integrity in the IRS Workforce Act would prohibit the IRS from rehiring any former employees that were terminated for misconduct.
- S. 1182 – a bill that would extend the National Flood Insurance Program through Nov. 30, 2018.
- H.R. 184 – a bill that would repeal the medical device tax.
FY 2019 Defense Authorization (NDAA). The NDAA conference report may receive floor consideration this week. The conference report is expected to contain language to update operations at the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S.
Tax Cuts 2.0. Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) is expected to unveil an outline of the GOP’s second tax-cut package before the chamber departs for August recess. The centerpiece of the package will focus on making permanent the individual tax cuts enacted in 2017.
Section 232 Hearing. The Ways and Means Committee will hold a subcommittee hearing on Tuesday to discuss the product exclusion process for Section 232 tariffs on steel and aluminum.
Vote. The chamber will vote today on the nomination of Robert L. Wilkie to be the secretary of veterans affairs.
FY 2019 Appropriations. Senators will begin consideration of H.R. 6147 – the second “minibus” spending package that includes funding for Financial Services, Interior-EPA, Transportation-HUD, and Agriculture.
FAA Authorization. Potential amendments to the Senate’s 2018 FAA reauthorization bill are still undergoing review this week. The goal is to take up the measure the week of July 30.
Tax Administration Hearing. The Senate Finance Committee will hold a subcommittee hearing Thursday on improving tax administration and oversight at the IRS.
Key Hearings and Meetings
- Senate Agriculture Committee. Hearing to examine the nominations of Dan Michael Berkovitz to be a Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and James E. Hubbard to be Under Secretary of Agriculture for Natural Resources and Environment.
- Senate Banking Committee. Hearing to examine the nominations of Elad L. Roisman to be a Member of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Michael R. Bright to be President, Government National Mortgage Association, and Rae Oliver to be Inspector General, both of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and Dino Falaschetti to be Director, Office of Financial Research, Department of the Treasury.
- House Ways and Means Committee. Subcommittee hearing on “Product Exclusion Process for Section 232 Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum.”
- House Judiciary Committee. Hearing on the Wayfair decision and its ramifications for consumers and small businesses.
- House Education and Workforce Committee. Hearing on H.R. 4219, Workflex in the 21st Century Act.
- FDIC. 2018 Joint Mutual Forum with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. The intent of the forum is to promote the operations of mutual depository institutions and discuss industry trends. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet with executives from other mutual organizations, as well as hear from senior management of the FDIC and the OCC.
- House Small Business Committee. Hearing on the tax law’s impact on Main Street.
- Senate Finance Committee. Hearing to consider the nominations of Justin Muzinich to be deputy secretary of the Treasury and Michael Desmond to be chief counsel for the IRS and an assistant general counsel at the Department of the Treasury.
- Senate Finance Committee. Subcommittee hearing on “Taxation and IRS Oversight: Improving Tax Administration Today.”